Thursday, March 28, 2013

Say Cheese

I just talked to Johns Hopkins and after 3 months of consuming 1/4 cup of baked milk a day they gave Maddy the ok to move to baked cheese!!!


We are very excited but hesitant at the same time.

This will be difficult for us for a few reasons.  #1 Matt and I have been eating a Paleo based diet (no grains, dairy, sugars, or legumes).  I've done a lot of reading and research and we feel great and for the most part are enjoying it.  It's worked well since we don't consume much dairy (with the exception of Camryn) in our house anyways.  But now I'm supposed to be making these baked cheese items and not eating them...that will be hard!  and #2 I haven't baked with cheese or milk products in quite some time, I don't even know where to begin, and how to not be wasteful, trying to find things I can make in little mini portions.

We have to go about it in the following way:  Make something with baked cheese (lasagna, ziti, pizza) and take what we would consider a portion for Maddy and split that in to fourths.  Give Maddy 1/4 a serving for 2 days, then 1/2 serving for 2 days, and then 3/4 serving for 2 days.  Once she is tolerating full servings she can have unlimited amounts of baked cheese.  No need to count her baked milk anymore, she can consume what she wants in baked milk but I don't have to give her a set amount each day.  Once she has baked cheese several times a week for a month she can progress to stove top cooked cheese and baked (dairy based) pies.  Store bought items must still have milk in the bottom half of the ingredients.

Phew...that seems like a lot to monitor and think about, and although there's so much that's allowed now there's still so much you have to worry about.  I wonder if she'll even like the taste of cheese?  She doesn't like cheddar goldfish...who doesn't like cheddar goldfish!?

I think we'll start this weekend...maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment